SCALING AND ROOT PLANING -
POST OPERATIVE CARE INSTRUCTIONS
Scaling and root planing is an extensive process to remove calculus from below the gum line and also to smooth rough root surfaces.
- After each appointment when anesthetic has been used, your lips, teeth and tongue may be numb for several hours. Avoid chewing until the numbness has completely worn off.
- Your gums will likely be tender for the next few days and should improve over the next couple of weeks.
- To alleviate the discomfort you can use an over-the-counter pain medication like Tylenol or Ibuprofen.
- Rinsing with warm salt water will aid in tissue healing. (8 ounces of water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 3 times daily for 2-3 days)
- The key to successful treatment is your home care. It is important to floss daily and brush 2-3 times per day.
- We will check your tissues for improvement at your next appointment. If you choose to follow our recommendations and schedule a follow-up periodontal appointment in 6-8 weeks, we will also clean any debris that has redeveloped or was previously hidden under inflamed tissues.
- We recommend that you schedule appointments every 3-4 months until your gums have healed and stabilized, at which point 6 month appointments will be suggested.
- If anything feels out of the ordinary, is not addressed in the above instructions, or if you have any questions or concerns, please call our clinic.